college football kicks off this weekend.  that means, I spent an hour on skype with my parents the other day trying to figure out how we can watch the Michigan State season opener vs Boise State. it also means I painted my nails in Spartan green + white for a little bit of luck.

why yes, I enjoy both college football and nail art. I'm a complicated woman.


I used a base of pretty edgy and used the end of a bobby pin to add polka dots in marshmallow, and a little heart on my thumb with tour de finance.

this won't come as a shock to you if you know me in real life [or follow me on pinterest or instagram], but I have a bit of an obsession with nail polish. in particular, essie.


I bought my first bottle of essie - mezmerised - when I was getting my haircut one day. I had to wait for a few minutes while my stylist was finishing with her last client, and they had just remodeled the store. my waiting chair was directly across from the essie display. and the bright blue of that bottle just caught my eye and, well, mesmerized me.



I must have walked over and picked it up and put it back a dozen times. it was so not my typical color. until that point, I usually wore something sheer and natural on my fingers [if anything] and some pink or red or plum shade on my toes. but for some reason the blue called to me. so I bought it. and a top coat. and once I got home and used them, and wore them, I knew there was no going back to the cheap stuff.


since then, I have amassed a moderate-sized collection of essie colors. pinks, neutrals, neons, sheers, sparkles... and of course the perfect Spartan green. 24 color shades, 2 glitter top coats, 1 base coat, and 2 top coats to be exact. [one top coat is long-lasting and the other is quick-drying]

and... I brought all 29 bottles with me to Taiwan.


and it's not just new colors I've added to my collection. I love trying out new manicures- scouring the internet for inspiration, playing with different color combinations, and experimenting with techniques.  I've done stripes and swirls, classic french, gradient, two-tone, and of course polka dots.

is it an obsession? maybe. but painting my nails has become like therapy for me. it's relaxing, soothing. I just... love painting my nails. and so, a new blog category: the nail files.
 
Top